One of our recent projects was to install valved tie-ins on the North Jet Pipeline. The intent of this nice little Delivery Order award on our POL IDIQ contract was so a (huge) portable pump could connect to the pipeline, then transfer JP-8 from Crowley Petroleum to Elmendorf AFB during emergencies.
On an earlier Delivery Order two years previous, Enterprise Engineering (as our subcontractor) wrote/designed/drew a study for a booster pumphouse on the North Jet Pipeline. That previous study was to evaluate “alternative means of transferring JP-8 turbine fuel through the North Jet Pipeline to Elmendorf Air Force Base should the Crowley Petroleum Terminal pumps be out of commission”. The gist of the study was to construct a new pumphouse with pumps, controls and transfer piping. The pumphouse would draw JP-8 from Crowley’s tank farm and transfer to Bulk Storage on Elmendorf AFB.
At the time of the study, there was an existing and operating alternative means of transferring fuel to Elmendorf – the South Jet Pipeline. Side-note: an alternative means of transferring JP-8 onto base is mandatory by Air Force rules…and prudent practice. However, when we closed South Jet Pipeline (on yet another Delivery Order) due to deep corrosion pits, the alternative means was gone. And there was no time, nor readily available funds, for the Air Force to construct a booster pumphouse.
So Hazim Yunis (of Elmendorf Civil Engineering) quickly drew/designed (with Enterprise Eng’s input) tie-in connections onto the North Jet Pipeline for a portable, engine driven booster pump. If Chevron’s transfer pump went kaput, the booster pump would be flown over from Hawaii on C-17 or C-5A. Then the pump would transfer JP-8 from Crowley tanks to Elmendorf bulk storage tanks. Or if the Port of Anchorage was damaged, say during an earthquake, a barge would park off the beach and the portable pump would transfer JP-8 into base bulk storage tanks.
We had a good pipe fitter and welder pre-fab the components while working on another (the pipeline lowering) project. Then we coordinated a weekend shut-down, Friday night thru Sunday night, with Crowley and Air Force. The install was easy with all the proper equipment and pipe fittings on hand. Of course, the good pre-work briefing providing overall sequence of events to all the crew helped immensely.
Waiting for x-ray results Sunday morning was the only tense moment. As we didn’t want any last minute – and late into night – weld repairs.
Pipe supports, painting, pipe labeling, and fence enlargement were completed over the following two weeks.